Is there any difference between normal and hardcore mode for the gauntlet difficulty? (SK)

I've got all the rings/staves I need, but I'm still deciding between which welded spell to use. I'm considering ball lightning since it's felt pretty powerful in my experience.. Despite what any guides say about flame lash, any opinions on what spell(s) I should use?
I'm debating whether or not I should try gauntlet mode on hardcore. I understand gauntlet is already really difficult, but I thought I would ask before I try my luck.
Also, I'm no master at the game. If you have any tips to spare, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Have you used flame lash on another character? It is INSANELY powerful if you follow the guides. On one character I had over 7000 DPS with flame lash and a faster caster ring, and with the battle mage 11 mana doesn't even matter (<1 per second). Didn't even have all my skills maxed out, it's just mega powerful. It MELTS rooms in seconds. Only reason I died on that character was because I wasn't paying attention and I got swarmed :(