Three questions about the metagame's sadness mechanic

I found it a bit surprising that the game has no proper explanations for some aspects of its metagame. Though I mostly figured it out myself by now, there are still a few things I'm uncertain about in regards to sad Chuzzles.

As far as I understand, when you fail a level, its Chuzzle becomes sad and gives you a sadness point. When you clear a sad Chuzzle's level, you lose all sadness points it gave you. Alternatively, you can also get rid of old sadness points by moving on to the next meta level. When you have three sadness points, you can no longer access any levels except for those belonging to sad Chuzzles.

My first question is what happens when you fail a level when you already have three sadness points. Can you just keep trying over and over without consequences until one of the sad Chuzzles has been dealt with? Or is your run terminated at this point? If so, do you still get all the money you would've gotten with the cash out option?

I also found it surprising that Chuzzlemamas don't give any sadness points. If they are just a means of temporarily restricting your level selection, then this makes sense. After all, there are no alternative levels you could play when all you have is a Chuzzlemama. If sadness points can actually end your run, then is this a bug or do you not want to give players the risk of failure at the start of a new meta level?

Finally, can you still clear the current meta level while you have three sadness points? Or does the Chuzzle on the goal also refuse to interact with you in this state?

Comments