What Hardcore mode should be in SKUME

NOTE: this is my thought on HARDCORE MODE not normal mode.

In previous solomon games(and many other games like diablo), hardcore is just a 1-life mode with not much difference. As a rougelike manic, I find this kind of use of hardcore inappropriate. Hardcore is suppose to be not just slightly difficult but also have different experience from the casual mode. To make such difference in experience, I present the following changes on hardcore mode to improve player experience:

A. Unknown equipment, potions, scrolls, etc
Like classical rougelike games, most items should be unknown(like you know its a sword but you don't know what it will do) until you use or equip that item or identify the item. This will be a nice additional variable that can make your games challenging without being too cruel. Also, even that can bring good reward at cost of getting permanent curse would be a nice addition for hardcore mode.

B. No wizard, archmage, demigod level stuffs. 
These level may be good for people who likes to take time and grind but it is nothing but a cumbersome mechanic that makes hardcore un-fun and repetitive. To make each hardcore run less repetitive, these level systems must be excluded in hardcore mode and instead the volume of the keep should be about 1.5 times bigger than the average keep and you should be reaching the real late-game stuff when you are near the top floor. Also, player should be getting more experience points in general to reach the late-game stuff before the game ends. And of course, beating solomon once should let you go straight to hell for gauntlet stuff till death instead of starting another level.

C. Increase damage of "dodge-able" attack but don't touch the health and other non-dodge-able attack
The "dodge-able" attack means for this case is attacks that you would normally not receive if you play well. Things like zombie bites, magic bolt, lesser demon fireball, are great example of "dodge-able" attack. The example of non-dodge-able attacks are arrows(it is very difficult to dodge it without arrow blocking spells), lightning, mouthlasers, spider bites. This will allow games to rightfully punish mistakes while making offensive builds more viable.

D. No transfer of items
It is obvious but transferring items does defeat the purpose of hardcore. 

E. Remove any element that may cause farming or grinding.
The main point of playing hardcore is to defeat solomon using limited resources and only 1 life. Having to farm or grind item literally defeats its purpose.

My expectations and suggestions about hardcore mode are all based on various rougelike games from classical rougelike like Nethack, Dungeon Crawl to semi-rougelike like slay the spire, darkest dungeon, binding of isaac. I hope any of these idea helps you out making SKUME better and hope you stay healthy ;) 

Comments

• Although I’m not sure I agree with A, and only half agree with B, I think the last three things, particularly D and E, are almost necessary for a fun, challenging hardcore experience.