New Enemy Idea - The Displacer

Okay, so here's my idea. It's similar to the invisible stalkers but a little tricker. The displacer would be an invisible creature that creates an image of itself that is to the side slightly :p Attacks pass through the image harmlessly, while damaging the displacer doesn't reveal it. Instead, you have to aim to the sides (once you work out where it actually is) and your only confirmation is seeing the creature's displaced image react as if it was hit :p To be honest I would also imagine it to be an evasive creature, perhaps an optional quest? Something that, when it is damaged, runs off to replan it's attack. I make this suggestion because I feel most of the challenge from the solomon games comes from "these guys have more health" and "these guys deal damage faster". I love the unique scenarios that force you to restrategise, such as enemies who dont simply run at you with sharp things :) Post your thoughts/suggestions below because I'm always excited to get my rough ideas out as soon as I have them :p

Comments

• might become an issue with collision though, if its in a mob of monsters. i definitly agree with the more strategy thing, thats one of the reasons why i liked playing games like dark souls, as the dificulty increased, the enemies didnt just get stronger, they got smarter too
  • This enemy is viable with some rework... though I'm not sure "displacement" would be very fun, since anyone not "in the know" will simply be confused why the creature doesn't seem to get hurt.  I like the idea of something that fights you for a bit then runs off for you to encounter later, perhaps even leading you on wild goose chases or traps.  Went in The Notebook!
  • They did displacer beasts once in Baldurs gate dark alliance. They simply just made them invisible creatures that would sometimes reappear when hit. They were also found near water so you could watch the ripples.
    they get to them around 2:10
  • I'd imagine a possible way to implement this would be like the binding of isaac Mask + Heart enemy.
    http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Mask_+_Heart
    Basically a heart roams around that is paired with another enemy (the mask) and the mask is invulnerable and can only be killed by destroying the heart.
  • You just reminded me of a cut zombie from Left 4 Dead. It was called the screamer, and what it would do is once it sees you, it's find somewhere to hide nearby and scream which would draw in hordes of zombies until you find it. How's that for an idea for you?
  • that mask + heart enemy sounds nice, basically anything to stop the tedium of " run around in circles firing at the closest/largest chunk of enemies, something that takes some active strategy to defeat would be a nice upgrade