Freezing issue

Hi is anyone else getting a freeze at wave 33 to 47?
the music keeps playing but the game ceases and i am forced to end the game by by task manager.
i am running on windows 10 pro.

i know the game not supported but i am reaching out to the community maybe we can pool some
knowledge together and see if anyone else is getting this same issue and maybe figure out a
possible fix for this.

on a side note if this is what the state was for solomon dark holy crap the new versions going
to be fantastic. i only started playing it yesterday and i think i blew 9 hours just sitting there playing.

Comments

• solomon dark is cancelled they Remake called Solomon Keep HD 
  • i know, thats what "the new version" i was refering to, but in the meantime solomon dark is a good way to pass some time for me.
  • BTW, my intention AT THIS TIME (it could change) is to release the code after SKHD is done, so an army of hackers might be able to tweak out any glitches.

It got almost no testing on Win10, so the first thing I'd do is try some compatibility modes.

Glad you liked it!  It was going very well when Patent Guy struck.

• edited April 2017
    oh i played solomon keep and boneyard on my ipods for a long time so being able to play dark on the pc was awesome
    the only thing from dark that was lacking was the ability to use the touch screen aspect in the 0.7.2 version
    i use windows 10 on a tablet (as well as on the pc).

i'm really lookin forward to Keep HD.

after much file browsing i figured out how to make my own items and even custom set items too. i'm hoping this is something that remains in Keep HD. it would be awesome for dedicated server admins so they can make their own server themed items and set items in multiplayer. if possible a touch screen compatibility for windows10 tablet/surface users would be awesome.

if you ever also consider releasing the source code for dark would you also happen to have any notes or listings on what all the effects are for making custom items i figured out alot of them but note would go a long way.
  • I love modders, so I'm trying to make Keep HD very moddable.  Dark actually had a whole scripting/level sharing system in it like Robot Wants Kitty, but that was turning out to be a very onerous task, so KeepHD is doing it a different way.
  • does solomon dark run on direct x?
    i only ask because i am  trying to  use an on screen virtual controller on my surface tablet to move and shoot with but have had no luck yet. i really don't wanna have to resort to a hand held gamepad but then it takes away from its portability and just plain feels different than the traditional way of playing.
  • Is there still a way to get dark for pc? I would be very interested in playing it. Spent hundreds of hours on boneyard.
  • Dark for PC is hosted by some users at some places... I believe they have links elsewhere in this forum.

Dark uses DirectX yes... but the controls are keyboard to move, mouse to fire.  I hadn't yet gotten to the point of putting in on-screen controllers.  I don't know if a virtual keyboard can handle arrows to move, mouse to aim/fire!

• edited April 2017
    NOTE: you must be in windowed mode to see the gamepad/buttons in the overlay. for some reason they will not tap into directx because they say hooking into it breaks some terms of service rules set in place for directx and they can get sued for it or something like that.

oh i did figure out a way to play it on my surface tablet and it worked pretty well
    i'm using 2 virtual overlay gamepads
    one gamepad called VirtualGamepad solely used for the slot 1 thru 8 buttons
    the other called Tablet Pro ver 2048 (or v2.0.4.8) for the two sticks. you also have to have installed vjoy (it's a driver for making a windows think there's a usb gamepad attached)
    and lastly you'll need a program called JotToKey (i'm using Ver5.9) with J2K you can assign the axis of the mouse to the right stick and use the left stick to move.

if i could find a better gamepad program i really would, the movement is okay but the shooting is a little sticky and takes some fiddling to get the right settings for shooting, i am literally telling the mouse cursor to be at the center of the screen and when i move the right stick the left mouse button gets pressed and the cursor moves in the desired direction for aiming. try to visualize a box and at the center is the mouse cursor and from the center to any side you can move the cursor 20 units to reach that side and then it fires. i have to tweak it for my screen to the right amount of units.

also note that if you walk your wizard too far to any of the sides where he leaves the center you cannot fire properly in one of the 4 directions til you walk him/her back to the center again. it's a neat workaround and one i learned through trial and error.

Joy2Key - http://joytokey.net/en/download
    VirtualGamepad - http://virtualgamepad.software.informer.com/download/
    VirtualGamepads main site got a broken link so you cannot get the demo they offer there so i posted the a link from another site it's a 876k installer surprisingly for everything it can do it's pretty small.
    vJoy - http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/download-a-install/download
    Tablet Pro v2048 - http://www.lovesummertrue.com/tabletpro/bin/tabletpro2048.exe
    Tablet Pro and VirtualGamepad are both demos but the features that are included have no timers on them so you don't have to worry about not being able to use it after 14 or 30 days.
    to be honest you don't really need VirtualGamePad i just used the buttons because i didn't wanna have to letgo of one side of the tablet to reach a slot button.

here's how my lay out looks like. note i have notepad in the background so you can see everything since i set it up really transparent. as i said the 2 sticks are from Tablet Pro. the B1-B8, ESC and center cog wheel (config setup button) are from VirtualGamepad, everything can be placed where you want so you can have the right stick on the left anf the left on the right if you play that way and the buttons scattered everywhere.
  • edited April 2017
    Update.

So apparently the two gamepad programs do not like each other you can just ditch virtualgamepad and just use the 2 sticks from tablet pro the right stick will no longer glitch. tablet pro does have 4 moveable buttons you can bind to the keyboards 1, 2, 3, and 4 keys and at least use 4 of the 8 slots. if you think of the xbox 360 controller it does have an RB, LB, RT, and LT buttons as well but those aren't so accommodating as the ABXY buttons.

Edit: something i just realized i did not mention is that you need some type of mouse (wireless/wired usb mouse or  bluetooth mouse/keyboard trackpad combo deal) to move all the tablet pro sticks, d-pad, and buttons around

sorry if this is seen as a double posting but the edit button vanishes after 60mins
  • edited April 2017
    hi raptisoft would you be willing to post (or pm me) a list of all the effects that can be placed on items?
    i figured out what i could with what was listed in the item.cfg file

i am working on some set items to find ingame or to buy through dowsing and i am wanting to give myself one thing while getting a penalty for it at the same time.

once done i can share what i've made to see if others on here would also enjoy it
  • Hey War... isn't there an effects list in the editor?  Or are you modifying the text files? 
  • edited May 2017
    Hi, here's what I think I figured out hehe, Just so you know I don't know any coding (other than like really basic HTML ver.1 I learned years ago)  I just look at it and do trial-n-error on it.

In the data folder there's a:

magenames.txt - that lists all the random names

wave.txt - i am guessing doesn't list the waves in any particular order that the waves come in at and i am guessing the first 10 or 20 waves are  a hard coded orders (for initial leveling) then after that random waves come in? i'm really not familiar with coding but it's seems understandable i'm thinking of trying to make a super waves where if i can find the lines that tell a boss to come in that wave.

item.cfg - that stores what i am guessing is items you can buy from the vendor through dowsing. there's a list at the end of that file (when you look at it in a text editor) that starts with <IGNORE> and ends with </IGNORE> the effects listed in there are listed twice so when you remove the repetitive lines you're left with what i am guessing is a sample of some of the effects you can use but it seems awfully short (the items list above that use some effect not listed in the ignore section).

In the data/wizardskills folder see all the files for changing the mana cost, damage values and multipliers for passives on the spells and passives.

In the data/levels folder there's nothing editable.

In the data/dialog folder i only see lines that are what the merchants and other characters use to talk to you with.

In the sandbox folder there is only one editable file which is the settings.cfg file

i know you know what the files are i just wanna describe them to see if i am guessing correctly.

i've looked in the other folders but they don't list anything and some of them i cannot understand they just says 'nul' alot in them which i figure it an encrypted file or something that the game can only read. That's all I've found in the zip file that was uploaded for everyone to use. if that's not the list I mentioned in the item.cfg file then i don't think one was included

Edit: just a note i dunno if anyones mentioned this or you probably know already but the Dampen spell crashes the game the moment you to to cast it.

• Hi war, you are correct about the files.  But if you go into Dark Cloud, there's a whole item-builder rig in there... as far as I remember, if you use the FX names in the builder rig, but put underscores instead of spaces, that's the name of the item for the text file.

BUT: I do suggest that instead of modding the text file, you build an adventure file with the dark cloud.  It allows you to do scripting, create items, create new monsters, set up waves, everything.  It's really quite advanced, a lot of work went into it, and the adventure levels that are pre built were made in it.  You can connect up inventories, include the college, and make whole games yourself... (descends into rant about parent lawyers who descend on small companies and stop  everything).

That only thing missing is that level sharing is not hooked up, but you can give files to other people to put into their folders to play.
  • edited May 2017
    woah woah there buddy (lol) i didn't mean to dredge up past wounds woosah my friend
    ;)

Edit: i did not know you could do that i will abuse that feature (sinister laugh)

OMG that timeline i can't even imagine surviving 640 waves geez

I did notice that there isn't an experience percentage modifier to increase or decrease the exp gain
    is there an actual effect for that by any chance?

Edit2: (i'm keeping in mind your rant there and by far i don't mean to poke at a wound if i am, i'm sorry but)
    i really i mean REALLY hope this editor makes it into SKHD holy crap thats some detailing even asset placing geez man
    the only thing missing is a ...... (looks again) ...... nevermind you have that to a monster/boss editor.....holy crap you can make every monter type a boss WTF hahaha i love it *AHEM* yeah definitely a sweet editor.....

(if you haven't noticed the dots mean i keep going back to look at other things i missed/skimmed the first time around lol)
    oops appearance you can accidentally clicked "Post Comment" and posted an empty comment below
  • Haha, enjoy it.  If you post anything here, I'll play it!

SKHD won't have an editor like this.  The editors in SD and Hoggy took more time than writing the game.  What I'm working with instead is the AngelScript code language (it mimics C++), but I don't know for sure that I will expose it, at least not initially.  But I hope to.  And eventually I might make a GUI that generates the code for you... but that will be kinda far down the pike.

But I am dedicated to providing user tools.  When you're a game developer, you never get to really enjoy your own games because you know everything... but if you open it up to modding, that all changes!

And what's so cool is, the players get to create stuff that you could NEVER put into a game for sale, because it's so crazy... but some of it is so very fun.  (I remember during Dark's beta, someone uploaded a Dark level that was fairly normal... except it had ONE immortal imp that was constantly chasing you... again, something I could NEVER put into the actual game, but it had an incredible effect on gameplay!)
  • Oh, for XP... I don't remember if there's a global modifier.  But you can tweak the monsters' XP to get the same effect (albeit with more work).
  • edited May 2017
    ohhh where's my conductors hat?? (puts it on) ALL A BOARD THE SOLOMON HYPE TRAIN!!!! lol i hope it's a summer release.....

how do i generate an item.cfg file so i can add custom items to the dowsing pool from the editor or will it do that for me?
  • If you add items, as far as I remember, they will go into your particular levels' dousing pool.  That should be easy to test.
  • edited May 2017
    hi raptisoft
    i have been trying for a while now and cannot seem to get any of the test maps i have made to appear in the recents tab in the "explore the darkcloud" section (or anywhere elsefor that matter) is there a particular folder or type of config file i need to list these test maps so i can trigger a new game scenario where i make a new character and start in the college before entering the boneyard?

Edit: i also wanted to see if i could make my own merchant appear between certain waves but i don't seen to see any options for a merchant mostly just chat dialog stuff triggering waves
  • Hola... except for editing your own levels, the Dark Cloud doesn't work because the web side of it isn't working.  Recents was supposed to be about things you recently downloaded and wanted to play again... but without the web side of it, it's all gone.  Perhaps at some point I'll release that web code and someone else can get it working.  I can't do that before I decommission Robot Wants Kitty, though, since it's the same code and would open RwK to hacking.

I hadn't included any merchant options... you'll have to do some kind of trigger setup like, "Step here to lose x gold and drop item y."
  • hmm things go well so far, but now i'm at another impasse how do i setup it up so you start from the college?