Player wants update

This game was amazing until the iPhone changed dimensions. The user-made level system was really well put together too, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Comments

• Hi Ern,
    What's going wrong with the user-made levels?
  • Fortunately I'm still using an iPhone 4. I did however, install it on my wife's 5c and the only differences I found were a brighter screen and ~ 1/4" black side bars due to the fact that the screen is longer. Other than that it's been working fine for me
  • Well, I'll provide updated information: I want to update RwK.  However, somewhere between last update and now, Apple made some kind of changes to their codebase and my code no longer compiles... so I seem to be stuck unable to update it.  Tell you what, between Solomon's Keep HD and Hamsterball 2, I'll make sure I get a RwK update out (if I can figure out this problem) and get some bug fixes and a few new features in.
  • thats what i love about you raptisoft, you always listen and try to make your customers happy :)

• edited June 2015
    There's "entertainers" and "businessmen."  An unhappy audience is no audience, and I don't have many skill points in "businessman!"

I thank you though-- it's good to know it's appreciated.
  • I have a new feature for ya!
    Take a block and cut it in a 45 degree angle, lets call it a mirror. When you shoot at it, your shot will change direction. This block should be able to melt with a melt block. Would also be nice to have in 4 different directions.
  • Go ahead, throw suggestions in here!  I'll keep track of them and if I can make it compile, I'll get them in.  If there's a monster with an unusual behavior you'd like to see, put that in too!
  • I just want to add a very important point!

Not sure who mentioned this in the previous forum, Dahlo or Czhr but please don't fix all the wonderful bugs in the game! Otherwise many, many even more wonderful levels created will be rendered useless. Many bugs in this game has been exploited to create great levels requiring mastery of skill to complete.

Two bugs I've noticed that may be addressed safely...

1) when Bluetooth is turned off on the phone, you get prompted for this when you start the game which is a tad annoying.

2) very often, when taking a break from a level being played, no progress are saved when you want to continue the level at a later stage.

What I do to try and remedy this is to exit the level often so I don't end up playing for hours only to find all my progress wasn't recorded/saved but it would be nice if this can be looked at.

What may be a stellar solution would be to allow us to save different games we're busy playing so we can download the levels onto the device itself to play indefinitely and come back to them whenever while at the same time playing other levels.

Or perhaps just a function to save all the most favourite levels in a list or library?
  • I agree with fnanfne on pretty much everything. All though i never had a problem comming back to a game, there is an issue with The teleporter when you come back. For some reason the teleporter doesnt work when you come back to a game, and That's a bug we could live without. Fixing that wouldnt affect any lvls.
    About the "mirror" feature, i think you should really consider it, it would give so much more to the game
  • edited June 2015
    Update ideas: Part One.
    These are a lot of ideas on an update (or two), but I figure I might as well share and see what everyone thinks.
    Invincible versions of the monster set.  Once the gun is acquired monsters lose a lot of they’re scariness.  With invincible version ( I dunno, gold or something ) one could make levels that require the gun but still contain monster obstacles.  I know the gun-removal app can do that, but this would allow for explosive/melty blocks and gun toggled doors use while still having to avoid monster obstacles.
    I like the mirror/angled block idea too.  Perhaps standing on one makes the robot slide as well.  The ricochet idea would create a lot of new possibilities for level design.
    pressure plate doors.  Doors that would open only while either the robot or a monster was touching a tile associated with them, then would slam shut again.  For example, having to wait to pass through a door until a little red guy walks over the pressure plate on the level above.
    new monster:  A monster that follows the contour of a continuous surface, like the little fuzzy guys from the mario games.  For example, it would mover around the north, east, south, west side of a single block continuously.
    self-destruct:  This could be useful for those frustrating levels that a designer (usually by error) has created an area that the robot can’t escape from and has nothing to cause it to respawn.  It could also be useful for level design (for example, having to self destruct before a save point is activated preventing return to a previous area).
    Another color or two of the one-shot key/doors (like the yellow door).  
    More removal apps:  removal of horizontal rocket, removal of jump/double jump, removal of haxxor, removal of keys, removal of explosive (not just gun, but the explosion app too).  As frustrating as it is to lose the apps in levels, it adds enormous functionality.
    hidden/secret passage block.  This would be a block that looked like a normal block on both the level and the map, but is an image only and is, in fact, passable.  Could create some great (and frustrating) gameplay.
    enhanced vision app:  the map no longer displays the hidden/secret passages mentioned above.Still visible in level, it would make for some serious map study to find the solution.
  • Update Ideas:  Part Two.

ultimate weapon app:  all blocks are destroyable.  

laser turret block:  fire at anything passing their directional boundary.  Instant death.  Or perhaps fire in timed bursts that have to be calculated for passage.  Coupled with the mirror/angled blocks could create some fun stuff.

tractor beam blocks: While standing in the beam the robot slowly rises upward.

crumble blocks:  like in a dozen other games, blocks that crumble when stepped on.  Maybe they regenerate after a time?

energy well:  refills health without creating a save point.

bubbly lava block:  a lava block that produces deadly rising bubbles so a jump has to be timed accordingly.

maybe a few more colors of lava blocks?  more paint options too.

Also, if there could be a paintbucket type option that paints all continuous blocks with a single touch, that could really speed up level creation.

And have all blocks placed with a continuous finger swipe like the lava and basic block.  Making a brick level, etc… is a real pain since every block has to be placed one by one.

...oh, lava boots app:  walk on lava.

I would also suggest having layout tools in the level creator on two swipable pages so there can be a “basic set” for new level creators and an “advanced tools set” for the experienced.  Would seem less intimidating to new level creators as some of these ideas can be complicated to use.

And, if there could be some downloadable interface to create levels and upload them to the phone to make level design a little more convenient, larger screen, etc...

My greatest wish though would be that an Android version comes into being.  There really should be a larger audience for this game, it’s a great game.  And for me personally, I’m still using an iphone 3gs as I’ve been an Android guy for some time now.  Once this phone goes, and it’s already having a few problems, I’m out.  I’m not willing to buy another iphone, and even if I got one from a friend or something, I’m not willing to install itunes on my computer (resources hog amongst other problems).  I have no knowledge of the market for game apps, but there are few games out there (and I’ve played quite a few) that are as versatile and well made and unique as RWK.  Something to think about.

I know these are a lot of ideas, but I figure I’d throw all the ones I can currently think of out there and see what everyone thinks.

• edited June 2015
    Quite a few ideas Fomb, I like them all but want to give an explicit +1 for the downloadable interface idea.

I really don't know how all of you can design these intricate, complicated and awesome levels on your mobile devices, it beggars belief. Having the ability to design levels on a PC/MAC with a mouse would be the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Thinking out loud of creating a Kickstarter to source a new iPhone + laptop for Fomb. It will be in the best interest of the community AND most definitely Raptisoft themselves!
  • That exploding trick would be bad for many levels. Remember Bear Hug by Dahlo?
  • Elevating blocks would also be awesome. You set point A and point B, and the block will move in between. Just like the blue little monster, but a block instead
  • You are right about the exploding blocks.  That would ruin a few really good levels.  Hadn't thought of that.  I like the elevating block idea too.  Could be horizontal and vertical.

I left one idea I had out.  Invisible blocks:  These are blocks that aren't visible on the level or map.  A level could be made that was all invisible blocks and all that could be seen would be the robot and monsters (apps too).  If would require mentally mapping out the level, akin to playing in the dark.  Perhaps the enhanced vision app that I suggested earlier could render the blocks visible on the map.  Could create some fun "leaps of faith" moments and inferring a blocks location by a monster interaction (why did the fly change directions in mid flight?  Oh, there must be a block there).
  • That's very sweet of you to suggest a kickstarter, I appreciate it, but nobody should have to spend their money on something for me.  I'll make levels as long as my phone lasts.  Thanks for the support.
  • Haha invisible blocks sound like a lot of fun....hehehe :p 
  • Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention what I think would be simple update.  The ability to view the map while testing a level in the level editor.  Especially for complicated levels, it would help a lot and cut down on people (myself included) using the easy completion glitch (moving the robot) to trick the editor into thinking the level had been properly completed.  It makes an easy environment for faulty levels.

Though...please don't remove the easy completion glitch as it allows incredibly lengthy levels (such as many of mine) to be simply modified or adjusted without an enormous time commitment of re-playing the entire level.  If this glitch was removed there would be far fewer people willing to make a small change that could really improve the levels game-play or aesthetic.
  • edited June 2015
    As for ranking/user suggestions, I find the rating system a little...unrevealing as to what constitutes a good level.  I know it's subjective and a true metric is impossible, but I think something that could really help would be two sets of rankings.  1) the general ranking of the population (as it is now) and 2) a ranking by players that have actually completed the level.  It would be a little more data and reveal the thoughts of those that actually stuck it out to the end.

I know this is asking a lot in terms of accumulated and complied statistics, but I would also like to see a number associated with the rankings (in terms of numbers of people who rated the level).  This would be useful too.  If a level has 5 stars but only one rating vs. a level that has 4 stars but 100 ratings, for example.

As far as users go, I would really like a user defined block list, where each person can choose a list of users to not show up in their level feed.  The point being is that when a specific user has regurgitated a poorly designed level over and over again, you can stop them from showing up in the list of levels on your phone.  (I imagine there would be a few people who would like this very addition to get rid of my levels as well)  ;)  It wouldn't effect anyone putting up whatever levels they want, but would unclutter each of our own personal level lists to get rid of those that, for example, keep creating a level that begins with getting the kitty.  Seems to never get old for some reason.  I'm sure some of you can think of some users you'd immediately get rid of.  This would also help with those that are letting their kiddos play RWK.  My nephew loves this game.  It doesn't happen very often, but every once in a while someone shows up and is using words that may not be suitable for younger ears, or has some content not suitable for kids.  This would help those sort that business out themselves.

Also, if this user defined block list was coupled with the improved ranking system, those users that keep putting up purposely terrible levels would find that after a short while...nobody was playing them.

I do want to point out that I'm not criticizing anyone's level making ability. I'm talking specifically of people who are trying to make pointless levels, purposefully put no thought into them, in effect, trolling the level making community.  Someone honestly trying to make a level that perhaps isn't fantastic doesn't bother me, just means they're starting out, learning.  I appreciate that.  I'm only talking about those that are purposefully in their mediocrity.

Man, do I run on at the mouth or what?  Sorry to all of you that have had to read through all this rambling.  ;)
  • What's the Easy Completion Glitch? 
  • Move the robot to the kitty (or vice versa), play level, then move them back.  The level is considered completed even if it isn't possible to actually beat the level.  Really only a good idea if a level one makes is really long and a change is made that is very clearly not major.  It's always best to do an actual run through regardless.
  • Geez, that's a terrible glitch.  Okay, that's the #1 fix when I get back into this groove.
  • I honestly would suggest leaving it in.  It's a non-obvious way to get around replaying a level for serious level designers.  I have a couple of levels (Fomb's Last Level, or Klingon Wants Kitty, for example) that can take a good hour to play through in completion.  I made a few minor changes at various times, that I sincerely think improved the level, but in all honesty I wouldn't have made those changes if it involved an hour long runthrough, so the absence of the glitch, I feel, would result in a lesser level.  In fact, I think it would discourage long levels altogether.  I know several people know this trick and I don't really feel it's abused.  I remember a long time ago that a few folks made obviously unbeatable levels (which consisted of two boxes, one with the robot, one with the kitty), but it's a rare and inconsequential thing.  Most people are making solid levels.
    At least the rare occasions that abuse would occur do not outweigh the enormous benefit of allowing us to tinker with really long levels.  
    I would like to hear others views on this.  I just played Dahlo's new level Dim Dem Lim, took me at least 40 minutes.  Paisley Pickle's levels tend to be long.  There are several others too.  I would imagine that for them as well, making a change would be greatly discouraged without the glitch and many of my changes tend to be aesthetic changes (adding a lava border or some level boundary adornment).
  • edited June 2015
    Makes sense to me to keep the glitch. 

Raptisoft, how about adding a way to copy levels, kind of like a way to practice. So like you can't get past this one part on a level, you copy it, scroll around the level editor to see what's there, and move the robot to the part your stuck on? IDK if this is bad or good.

Also, maybe a new monster that tries to follow you around, instead of just wandering or flying to a wall and then back?
  • Oh, and I really like Dahlo's idea of the floating blocks.  Could be an east/west set and a north/south set.  Could create some really fun levels that require destroying blocks to free the floater to get it into the right portion of the level.
  • How about making coop levels? I know that's a lot of coding or maybe even impossible, but remember portal 2, where you need a friend to complete the level
  • Hi there raptisoft really like this game and i too would love an update. two things that could possibly be addressed in an update--

When you go to the pause screen that shows all the apps and key cards you've collected it gets really disorganized and redundant and if you collect more apps than will fit on the screen it doesn't go to a second row when you run out of screen space it just stops showing up.

And it would be cool to have the size of the app widened to accommodate the width of newer iPhones.

• This is a good point by Kyleseglin, though it isn't just a screen size issue, it's a glitch.  I think it started when the removal apps showed up.  It's not just apps on the pause screen, it's also certain blocks (like the gray bomb block) that shows us as if it's an acquired app.  I think if this glitch is resolved, there is actually plenty of room on the screen for all the apps.
    Not overly a big deal, but just a little cluttered.
  • Fomb QuoteAs far as users go, I would really like a user defined block list, where each person can choose a list of users to not show up in their level feed.  The point being is that when a specific user has regurgitated a poorly designed level over and over again, you can stop them from showing up in the list of levels on your phone.  (I imagine there would be a few people who would like this very addition to get rid of my levels as well)  ;)  It wouldn't effect anyone putting up whatever levels they want, but would unclutter each of our own personal level lists to get rid of those that, for example, keep creating a level that begins with getting the kitty.  Seems to never get old for some reason.  I'm sure some of you can think of some users you'd immediately get rid of.  This would also help with those that are letting their kiddos play RWK.  My nephew loves this game.  It doesn't happen very often, but every once in a while someone shows up and is using words that may not be suitable for younger ears, or has some content not suitable for kids.  This would help those sort that business out themselves.
    Also, if this user defined block list was coupled with the improved ranking system, those users that keep putting up purposely terrible levels would find that after a short while...nobody was playing them.
    Yes please Raptisoft. I am so tired a couple of these users - especially "Lucaspiggyoceysquiddy2" These levels are just so bad... I'm sorry,i crie ;-;