A suggestion regarding old levels

So from what I understand, even after we'll get the ability to convert levels from RWK's 32-bit version at some point in the future, some levels still won't work because they rely on glitches that have since been fixed and would be too difficult to un-fix. Furthermore, the conversion will still have to be done manually because it won't always work perfectly. For these two reasons, it's still likely that a lot of levels will never be converted.

Which is why I had an idea. Why not release a Windows build of the last 32-bit version of RWK? That way, people could play the old levels with 100% compatibility. This build wouldn't really compete with the 64-bit version, seeing how it'd lack all the features that were added in recent updates. It would simply exist as a means to play old levels that haven't been converted.

Comments

• That would be a really cool idea. Maybe even a re-release of the app on android (since iOS is problematic) calling it something like RWK-Legacy, or RWK-retro classics.  ?
  • I think bringing the old version to Android could be problematic. Keep in mind that it uses an old version of the Raptisoft framework that doesn't support Android. So John would probably have to port the game to his framework's current version yet again, only this time without changing it to 64-bit and fixing any bugs.

A Windows release on the other hand should be easy, seeing how the framework has always supported the platform. Even John's mobile-only games were first developed for Windows. Their Windows versions just weren't released due to their tiny resolution.
  • I've talked with Hamumu Games in the past about open sourcing this game.  Don't know if it'll go anywhere, but we'll see what happens.  I think it'd be fun for people to mod it and run their own servers (which is super cheap now).  But we'll see what happens.  Personally, I love open source, but Hamumu software is quite protecting of their IP (can't blame him).
  • edited June 2018
    Bit surprising, considering Mike Hommel (the guy behind Hamumu) originally made RWK for a Ludum Dare competition and released its source code as required by the rules. (Though this first release was inferior to the current flash version in various ways.) He also recently made a ton of his old games free.

But even if he doesn't want your remake of the game to be open-sourced, I think it's unlikely he'd object to the release of a Windows build of the last 32-bit version, seeing how it wouldn't compete with the current version due to its missing features.