Monday Screenshot 8/17: Infernal

As you maybe guess from previous games, Solomon dabbles in only three kinds of minions: Undead, vermin, and demons.  Getting the demons to look how I wanted them to in real 3D as opposed to pre-rendered was a bit tricky, but in the end they turned out even better than the pre-rendered guys.

So you've seen these guys in Keep and Boneyard, but Keep HD will feature several different infernal critters, including imps, hellhounds, some gargoyle-like things, and different tiers of demons (including an optional demonic boss).

Comments

• I cant wait to see them moving around :D
    and I see we get a little tiny bit of UI in there too! 
  • Are you going to make it a little like the binding of Isaac where you have different ways of completing the game, and depending on which bosses you've finished you have more choices on how to progress? :) or is it just gonna be like a story mode where it's "kill Solomon and you win, but there's also this stuff to do on the way"?

I gotta say those demons look amazing though haha last question though, are you planning on adding more conditions than 'slowed', 'poisoned', and 'stunned'? It'd be cool to have a sucubus type enemy that charms you, or undead arms coming from the ground and grappling you
  • @Xlg: that ui has been there for most of the monday screenshots of late

@duck: i would assume its kill solomon with stuff to do on the way, and with your extra effects, succubus charming would be good only in MP, useless in solo, and the arms grappling you would just be another slow (unless its a root and you need to attack the arms to break free)
  • >or is it just gonna be like a story mode where it's "kill Solomon and you win, but there's also this stuff to do on the way"?

That one... you can win the game in an hour if you go straight to the top (that's even one of the challenges from the Annalist) or if you want to explore every side room and secret chamber, you're probably looking at an all-day experience.  But each game will be a little bit random-- there will be different quests depending on the game (note that in-town, the wizards will NOT be the only NPCs any more-- townspeople, hearing the commotion in the night, start to appear with their own gripes and pleadings).

>succubus charms
    I try to avoid anything that takes "mental control" away from the player.  However, there will be some stuff like undead arms.  A succubus charm won't go in because I expect YOU the player the always be in cognitive control of your avatar.  Now if I could make a 3D model so pretty that you wouldn't want to go ahead an hack at it in-game, that might be a way of doing it, but I'm not going to say "you have been put out of control of your own mind" :)
  • edited August 2015
    in general fantasy lore, charms dont actually "control" you, they alter your senses, so with that in mind you could make a succubus that alteres the appearance of the enemies temporarily.. making an infernal look like a simple skeleton (therefore less of a threat) and a simple skeleton appear as an infernal, or said succubus thats casting the illusion

another idea (if you dont already have plans for it) would be confusion, make it so your movement is altered 30 degrees to the left and your aiming 45 degrees to the right or something, or even a dynamic variable. obviously i dont know how difficult/easy it would be to code these in so might not be viable lol
  • solomon hurt itself in its confusion!
  • Maybe you could have poor townspeople who've been trapped in the castle for Solomon's evil experiments, and with all the commotion they've taken their chance to escape. And maybe one of those escaping, unassuming peasants is a succubus >:) It'd be cool to try and slow down a horde as they escape, cast safely to make sure the peasants don't get caught in the cross fire, or even become a paranoid maniac who blows up a room of innocents after that last succubus gave him a nasty surprise and a game over :P
  • Yeah, maybe a cow who is escaping runs past the player and gives a frenzied and scared moo.
  • Am I supposed to see a tiny pic?
  • that would definitely add a nice touch to it echo, although i think these might all be just pipe dreams and reverie's.. might see them in an update or when he adds the other classes, but for its core im assuming hes not gunna change much/anything