This is embarrassing, but...

So in Boneyard, I've long had people a little bit confused about how Magic Inventory works.  I'm looking to improve it.

Can someone tell me if the magic inventory keeps items you have EQUIPPED, or if those get lost, after a game over?

Comments

• As far as I know, everything in your inventory is saved after a game over, whether it's equipped or just sitting in the inventory. Potions don't carry over, though. I think whatever you have equipped just goes into the inventory bar when you die. I had this system where I used the double ring finger perk along with the magic backpack so I could get 2 new rings at the start of each round and just save the ones I thought would be useful in the future, and so I had accumulated a fair collection of various rings that were saved by the magic inventory. I've tried un-equipping the magic inventory perk and re-equipping it, and from what I remember, it still saved what you last had in there.
  • They are kept. I always find the two rings I've been wearing when I died. They are placed on the left end of the list for the next game.
  • Yes. I remember having all equipped items return to inventory upon death.
  • Okay.  I want to switch the magic inventory to work more like the scavenger in Dark-- as in, on level start, you get to see everything and pick what you're taking with you.
  • I enjoy this thought
  • Yeah i love that :)

Are you considering to change the perks too and make them work like in dark? Or would this take too long?
  • Combusion: Yeah, I'm considering it.  The main issue there would be that people used to the old system will get mad at me, especially since they will cost gold each time... but on the other hand, having to keep a steady stream of gold coming in both makes the game last longer, and helps revenue too, for people who will watch ads or buy gold.

So I'm thinking about it!
  • I know it’s a bit late now, but I seem to remember mentioning a feature a while back that would be cool for boneyard

How about if you could import your keep character (with sufficient mentions that when he dies, he’s dead, no coming back) into boneyard through some magic wormhole that the town wizards discovered to try and stop Solomon before he became too powerful

That might ruin the competitive aspect of boneyard but I suppose you could have a separate highscore for imported chars?
  • Bit surprised you're considering making significant changes to Boneyard's 64-bit versions, considering you decided not to for Keep due to how difficult it was to port.
  • edited September 2017
    Well, when I played Keep, it didn't seem dated except in very small things.

But the metagame in Boneyard seems VERY dated-- and maybe it's just because I tarted things up with Dark and now it's hard to look at the more primitive version of it.

But since Dark will never be released officially, it seems like, since I didn't hit the 32-bit graveyard deadline anyway, I could fold in a few of Dark's nicer features into Boneyard.

And I might throw a couple things into Keep too, now that I've got it in my modern code framework.  Since I plan to do other things besides SKHD for the rest of things yeah, I have to keep you guys happy.  Most notably, I'd really like to get the dead wizards from Boneyard into Keep.
  • Duskfall: It's impossible to do that on iOS without writing a whole web component to go with it... iOS won't let you see any data for other apps (or, there might be a way, but doing anything on iOS is so painful that I'd rather just work on SKHD which eliminates the problem since it'll have endless graveyard mode baked right for you to play your character in)
  • >>Yeah, I'm considering it.  The main issue there would be that people used to the old system will get mad at me, especially since they will cost gold each time... but on the other hand, having to keep a steady stream of gold coming in both makes the game last longer, and helps revenue too, for people who will watch ads or buy gold

Omg yess! :D I love the new system..just like you said it keeps the game alive and you get money...and when you do it just like in dark where the prices reduce after first purchase i dont see why anybody would be mad rly

Oh and another question..will u keep the old perks or add those from dark or replace all of the old perks with the charms from dark?
  • As of this exact second, I'm keeping all the old perks and adding a few new ones from Dark.  I'm also going to see how bad it would be to add in the Deep Portals and the maggot coffins and possibly even Heartmonger.

• What you really need to put... ... is spiders  >:)
    Also, can you make sure lightning and flame lash can hit maggot coffins. It had some issue with that in Dark.
  • Well, honestly, if there's any issues at all, I leave things out.

I think with the coffins, lightning/lash were hitting maggots and had trouble getting in to the coffins.  But that would have been part of the final balancing that never happened.
  • So the lightning was hitting an invincible invisible maggot in a maggot coffin, not the coffin itself?
  • No I mean they emit from the coffin so quickly/constantly, and the lightning prefers to target them.  I'm just guessing anyway, like I said, I never got the point of balancing that out.
  • edited September 2017
    So maybe coffin should make burst of maggots at a time instead of constant swarm of maggots if your guess is correct.

P.S. If you are putting some "new" contents for boneyard. Can you do these too? I think these are sort of necessary (except 5) to give some love to underpowered spells.

1. Acid rain damage buff or bring magic storm to boneyard. (Sirmen needs love)
    2. Steam jet should block arrows like frost jet.
    3. Magic circle upgrade should increase slow rate like in dark
    4. Meditation should also proc while moving like it does with concentration in dark.
    5. This one is not necessary but would be nice: add call comet. Why? Cuz it is the coolest spell in the entire solomon franchises that not many people know about. Do this if you have time.

Keep the good work Mr. Raptis. ;)
  • No, I won't be making too many changes-- time is an issue here, and Boneyard currently sits in the 32-bit graveyard.  Anything significantly improved will be going into SKHD, I was only going to throw into Boneyard things that weren't likely to break anything, require heavy revisiting of old code, or start a balancing cascade that has me tweaking skill values for the next six months when I should be tweaking them in HD.
  • >>As of this exact second, I'm keeping all the old perks and adding a few new ones from Dark.  I'm also going to see how bad it would be to add in the Deep Portals and the maggot coffins and possibly even Heartmonger.

Sounds good. By possibly including dark bosses, are you updating the graphics too? Bc wouldnt they seem out of place with the better textures?
  • I dunno, Boneyard looks surprisingly good-- I was honestly a little surprised how well it held up.  I think the deep portals and coffins will fit in just fine.
  • Just fyi the coffins in dark are absolutely 100% immune to lightning once they open. its a wierd bug, before they open, the lightning can in fact destroy them. however AFTER they open they are completely immune to lightning.

its not that the lightning is hitting the maggots, i assure you. i tested it extensively last night, and even with almost max lightning and chaining and nearly infinite mana and hurricane they wont die to lightning once they open. ^_^
  • I remember when I played Boneyard several years ago, there were a bug that made "infinite" Imps spawn and crash the device if you reached a high enough wave.

Also remember that you just couldn't find what exactly caused this bug and it was not fixed back then...

This is still a problem in current version? (and future android version).
  • Oh-- yeah, I fixed that.  It was with the boss that threw fireballs and spawned imps, right?  That's been fixed for a long time, that was before Apple "cut me off."