Monday Screenshot: 11/9/2015: Solomon Dark in Solomon's Keep

After all the sad discussion about Solomon Dark, I thought this might be a good point to make:

http://raptisoft.tumblr.com/post/132882270192/on-the-forums-wwwraptisoft-forumscom-theres

I'm having trouble coming up with screenshots that aren't spoilers now, though!  But I'll see what I can do.  With Christmas coming up, you're going to see more Cubic Castle screenshots, though, alas.  Also, a project I've been devoting only a couple hours a week to all year has finally added up to being almost finished, but I'll post about that later.

Comments

• Big question I realize has not been addressed:
    Is there going to be all the magic/welds that was in the dark beta?
  • Not with the Paladin, obviously.  However, magic welding has confused *so* many people (I get a few emails every week) that it is going to be changed up so it's easier to understand.
  • yea, i was really looking forward to trying out the earth element, looked like it had some unique gameplay
  • It was difficult to aim. John I don't remember if this is true but I think I remember being frustrated that the aiming system in Dark was based around the center point on the screen, meaning that if you were near an edge if your cursor was in between the center of the screen and the player, then it would still fire away from the center of the screen

like this https://gyazo.com/c3aa3b4b24697c5e552e0aa37b36fdc9
    I think it should be based on the position of the player, so in the case of the picture he would fire towards the right
  • i really hope thats not the case.. the aiming was perfect in boneyard/sk, why would he change it? =o

i just want to live out my fantasy of becoming like ludo from the labyrinth and have a bunch of homing rocks crush my foes :P
  • Hm, I'm surprised to hear the XGL because I did set up the game at some point (I don't remember if it was something I did after the last beta) to make the player's position be the "center point."

As for earth magic, it's probably not going into Keep for the mages (though a modified version is part of the Druid's tree).  The spells were designed for a wide open area-- rolling up a boulder and throwing it in the Keep would be an exercise in frustration, since there's just not the same amount of room to retreat and maneuver. 

• Yeah that makes sense. It might have been changed in the last beta its been so long I didnt remember, I just remembered it was that way at least in the beta without the map editor
  • yea i wasnt thinking about the walls and the theory behind it.. oh well, hopefully i can tinker around with it in the dark beta if you release it :P
  • Plot twist: Solomon is not just one guy >-)
  • edited November 2015
    I Can think of a fun way to give Druids a boulder-esque magic, you charge up like the old boulder and fire it and roots shoot forward making a wall enemies have to attack and break through but you can move past freely (at a reduced speed). 
    It Deals impact damage for hitting enemies, and can get upgraded to add thorns to hurt enemies touching it. 
    Charging increases the size and damage on impact as well as the Health of the root walls.
    Along with thorns another sub-skill-esque thing could be branches in the roots with very light homing filling a room with multiple walls, and not just Straight ones. more levels in this increases Homing and the number of 'Branches'.

Wouldn't be very powerful in and of itself, but would be a great Crowd control style skill.

• i like that idea, minus being able to pass the roots, heavy CC abilities like that need to have some danger to them so there not used carelessly (trapping yourself into a corner and get surrounded when the effect fades)
  • Speed would be reduced when you move through them signifigantly, less so on allies. because of the tracking you wouldnt have a major degree of control where some of the walls show up. and trapping allies in is no fun either.
  • Will the new Solomon game be for iOS? Or what platforms will it be on?
  • The plan is for it to come out on Steam first, then IOS and hopefully Android.

• Alright, thanks!
  • When will this game available in App Store?? Back to late 2010, the first time I played Keep was on the 3GS, it accompanies my old school days , I love this game so much!!
  • I can't give an exact date because whenever I do the universe is immediately destroyed and replaced with an almost identical universe except that in the new replacement universe, the date specified cannot be met for any reason.  It's almost like some sort of time travel paradox.

But it's in the works, and it will come out first for PC, then iOS and Android.
  • Do you know what you'll make the price for the PC version yet?
  • No-- I try not to think of any business stuff during dev.  But most likely, PC/Linux/Mac will be a single buy, and mobile will be free to play with irritants, with the option to turn the irritants off, because of how the mobile audience is.
  • Ok cool. I will buy it on my PC because the mobile market is dead to me
  • Id probably buy it on everything I own that can have it, cause im a fanboy like that,