Question about thoughts and directions about balancing Wizard in Solomon's Keep
Dear Mr. Raptis,
After playing couple of runs in Solomon Dark, I can see some balance change with the returning spells. I know this is not a completed version(and it won't be) and some spells may not be the way you wanted to be. However, I believe that this incomplete work of yours did showed some of your directions in balancing the upcoming Solomon's Keep (at least the Wizard part). I just have some questions for you to see what you want the Keep to look like and possibly help you by giving suggestions that may help you make this awesome game more perfect.
1. Compared to the old Solomon games, Solomon Dark had some significant nerfs(battle mage nerf on higher level, channel mana nerf on higher level, fireball explosion radius nerf on lower level). Do you think Battle Mage, Channel Mana, and Explode are too powerful (in early game for explode only)in the old Solomon games? Do you plan to keep that change to the new Keep?
2. Skills like meditation, acid rain (replaced by magic storm, which is amazingly good), ring of fire, magic circle, mana up, health up were considered worthless in previous Solomon games(All three secondary skills are Dire Trio's secondary). And I see you attempted make meditation viable by concentration effect (Though I do not understand why you nerf ring of fire early level damage). Do you have plans to buff them, nerf other good skills(for example, battle mage), delete them, or make new skills that synergize with them?
3. In late game, arrows are really big issue because they are fast and only lighting and water has options to guard against them (even magic shield cannot stand against storm of arrows). Will you add anything that can counter arrows for fire and ether users(arrow blocking version of dampen maybe)?
4. Steam jet has been the least favored welded spell in the old solomon game because of its short range, vision blocking, inability to block arrows, and etc. Do you think steam jet needs some sort of adjustment or do you just want to leave it as it is?
5. I think earth magic can work well with corridors if it has some adjustments like adding wall-bouncing. Also, I think some welded abilities like hailstones and meteor swarm(with the adjusted mana cost)are fine with corridors (to be real honest, I just want to play hailstones. I'm having so much fun with that skill). Would you consider putting earth magic or are you still skeptical with it?
6. What kinds of unique bosses that we should expect besides the ones from old solomon games and solomon dark?
7. What is definition of Wizard as a game character and what kinds of play-styles would you expect from Wizard players?