Feature suggestion for chuzzle 2

have you considered adding a zen mode down the road to chuzzle 2? maybe with an option to pick a custom amount of columns and rows. then you'd just have an endless match making fest at your own pace.

Comments

• @war2k Great suggestions! Thank you for them.
    @Raptisoft John, these ideas would make Chuzzle 2 even better. I hope you’ll consider incorporating these features into Chuzzle before you go back into monk mode. Please? :)

Thank you,

Stephanie
  • FYI, if you play long enough you will find both Zen and Classic Chuzzle.  I won't spoil the surprise, but you WILL find them, it's not an easter egg or anything.
  • Great!!!!!
  • edited December 2018
    I haven’t found any issues with Chuzzle 2 beta yet however, I can’t help noticing RwK not being promoted in the ads. (RwK could do with more help!) Maybe I just haven’t seen it yet but I have viewed quite a lot of ads already.
  • weird i thought ads weren't implemented yet cuz i have only seen temporary placeholder ones (android version)
  • If it works like John's previous mobile games, it should display ads for his own games when it fails to load real ones.
  • Thanks for the clarification. So his own games*

*Excluding RwK :(
  • I’m no longer getting John‘s game ads. Now I see a “Google admob” ad that says “nice job” and “this an interstitial test ad”. (that’s how it’s displayed)
  • yeah i get only the one that says this is an interstitial test ad as well
  • I like John’s games screenshots better. If he hotlinks them, maybe he can get people to try them out.
  • In general, I just display my own when a "real" ad won't load.  Because all my games are so weirdly different from each other, I don't usually get much cross-pollination (i.e. someone who plays Solomon isn't likely to enjoy Chuzzle, someone who enjoys Hoggy probably won't play much Hamsterball).

• If there's one genre you have made plenty of games for, it's matching games. There's Eggsucker and its remake Dynomite, Chuzzle and Chuzzle 2, and also Boonka. There would probably be some cross-pollination there if it wasn't for the fact that you no longer own the first two, and that Boonka ended up being a flop whose publishing rights now belong to a phantom.

Technically, you have four platformers in your lineup as well, but they belong to fairly different sub-genres.

Aside from that, it's true that you've been dealing with a fairly large variety in games that have few things in common. That could indeed partially explain their widely disparate sales.
  • Wait, Dynomite? Pop-Cap and (I think) Zylom, basically Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble/Bubble Shooter with dinosaurs and eggs? Raptisoft had something to do with that?
  • John made that game, I think for his neice, way back when. He was not even being paid to do it. He just liked programming!

Darkest Wishes

The Dork Lord

• No, it was for his wife ;)
  • I don't remember the link, but there's an interview in which John said his girlfriend (who would later become his wife) kept dragging him to some place with a Puzzle Bobble arcade machine. Since he hated going outside, he made a clone of the game for PC just so that she could play a game like it at home.

He had no intention of doing anything else with the game until he got a mortgage a few years later. Desperate for any potential source of money, he decided to give the game some extra polish and sell it under the name Eggsucker, hoping that it would make the mortgage just a little easier to pay back.

The game's sales far exceeded his expectations, so he continued updating it for a while, then sold it to PopCap and teamed up with them to remake it under the name Dynomite.

Eggsucker was discontinued after being sold, but you can still find shareware versions of it on archived versions of the Raptisoft site, if you want a rough idea of what it was like.

Dynomite itself should still be possible to purchase from various sites. It's even on Steam. I wouldn't really recommend buying it, though. Not because it's a bad game or anything, but because doing so would support EA. I don't think John gets a share of the game's sales, seeing how he doesn't seem to own any part of it.
  • Thanks for the background! We all know John works very hard. It’s really amazing to find out how it all started.
  • A bit late for that, I bought it from Steam ages ago... I never knew Raptisoft had a hand in that though. That's really cool. (Also, I know Pop-Cap is owned by EA, but their older games aren't greesfests like some of their newer ones, so I'm not against buying them. I am... Also admittedly curious about Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare...)
  • Still haven’t found any issues with the beta so far but I accidentally “checked out” even though I read the warning. Not yet entirely sure what that means exactly but looks like I’m starting from scratch, back to square one!
  • From what I understand, that option gives you some coins, but ends your playthrough.
  • edited December 2018
    WEEEEEEEEEE i found zen mode :D

that is a really neat way of making it discoverable

• CONGRATULATIONS!!! I’ll get there some day.
  • edited December 2018
    I think I play this way too much
  • You’re devoted. I keep getting tripped up by mad Chuzzles. The pattern matching and timed games are harder for me. I keep trying them over and over anyway.
  • Me too @War2k. I've put 16.5 hours into it already and if I didn't finally get a Nintendo Switch Online subscription Tuesday evening it'd probably be a lot more.